Category Archives: Language
The Tagalog language is spoken in the Republic of the Philippines. It is one of the primary languages of the Filipino culture. Its prominence has let it to also be referred to as Filipino. While the Tagalog language has existed for several years, the country adopted the more common name to increase its acceptance among other Filipino individuals.
Here are some tagalog words/expression:
- Kamusta? – How are you?
- Nakakain ka na ba? – Have you eaten already?
- Bababa ba? – Going down? [in elevator]
- Oo – Yes
- Hindi – No
- Mahal ba to? – Is this expensive?
- Anong pangalan mo? – What is your name?
- Ilang taon ka na? – How old are you?
- Magandang Umaga! – Good Morning!
- Magandang Gabi – Good Evening!
- Mahal kita – I Love You!
- Mahal din kita – I love you too.
In the Japanese and Chinese culture there are specific terms for the family members. We Filipinos also have that.
- Tatay – Father
- Nanay – Mother
- Ate – Older sister/s
- Kuya – Older Brother/s
- Lolo – Grand father
- Lola – Grand mother
- Tito – Uncle
- TIta – Aunt
Paalam also means Good bye! and Ingat also means Take care!
Written by: Celina Olidan